LoHi Records eCommerce checkout issue

Posted by admin Category: Web Design

I was first alerted to the issue viewing the Facebook page of Chad Staehly, an exec of the record company LoHi Records.

2 customers who separately preordered the product and seemingly don’t know each other, recognized each other by this issue of a previous customer’s info populating the address fields of the checkout page.

My first thought was that maybe the it could be due to the fact that I had geolocation selected in WooCommerce>Settings>General>Selling Locations.

Noticing that recent WooCommerce releases now asked to integrate geolocation with a MaxMind subscription and being that  I hadn’t done that, for whatever logic I assumed that this could be a cause, I disabled geolocation.

After disabling Geolocation, the checkout page did not insert the shipping charge until the user input their address in the appropriate fields.  At the time I thought that might solve the issue.

Then I received a note through our website contact form from a potential customer, Tara Anderson:

She sent a screenshot

This, first, led me to realize the issue was not solved.

The same day I received a note from a web savvy individual whose part of the LoHi Records team that he too saw the same issue when trying to place an order.  He suggested a cache as a possible issue

I turned my focus to a caching issue.  The site uses Sucuri and their web application firewall does have a cache element.  I opened a support ticket with them to see what they thought.  They changed cache settings (see below) and I also omitted /cart, /checkout and any url starting with /my-account from being cached.

I also had the plugin Autoptimize installed.  It had a setting to allow caching for Cart and Checkout pages, so I thought that might be the actual culprit.  I deactivated the plugin.

After disabling the Autoptimize plug altogether and cleaning the Sucuri cache I did receive a message from a customer who had complained about the issue earlier (Tara, documented above) saying that the address fields were no longer populated for her when trying to preorder the product and she sent another screenshot.  Seemed fixed for this one customer.

In screenshots that complaining customers sent me it appears as though they were all using mobile devices to browse the site but I have been unable to duplicate the issue myself.  Also several were sending screen shots that appeared as though they got to the site from facebook on a mobile device, then ordered the product through facebook’s browser.  I tried but could not duplicate the issue.

I was hopeful that the issue was resolved for future orders.  I have not received any more complaints from customers since disabling autoptimize and making cache changes on Sucuri.  But I am concerned if previous orders saved the correct addresses prior to that.

For instance this email I got from a customer who did not notice his address was incorrect until after his order, he looked at his preorder receipt and saw the shipping address was wrong.  I corrected the address in the order details screen.

“Matthew Terrill <mterrill78@icloud.com>
Sat, Apr 25, 2:47 PM (5 days ago)

Sent from my iPhone
Hey there, i recently preordered the john hartford tribute album, and somehow the shipping address got changed to someone ive never heard of. How can we correct this?”

So I went to the site’s store without being logged in and I preordered the record using a different email address and not creating an account (folkswaggin+tester1@gmail.com) using a coupon to not incur a charge.  The address fields on the checkout page were unpopulated and after placing the preorder the receipt email listed the address I put in.

However – I went to https://lohirecords.com/my-account and I created an account with that email address folkswaggin+tester1@gmail.com and there are no pre-orders listed.  If I click on orders there is an order attached to that account from 3 years ago and to a different user altogether.

Found that concerning.  Seems more like a database issue?

Then just moments ago I did the same thing – preordered the product and this time used a different email folkswaggin@hotmail.com.  Receipt email listed the correct address I input.  Went to https://lohirecords.com/my-account and created an account – same thing: no pre-orders listed and when I click on orders I see an order that should not be attached to this new user.

The address I put in should be:

112 Cypress Street
Greensboro NC 27405

I am completely unsure if the earlier issue of populated form fields on the Checkout page (of previous customers) and this oddity are related, but I’m hoping for some guidance.  Thanks very much for reading, utilizing your brilliance and replying.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>